Monday, July 24, 2006

... is leaning back over a cliff dangerous?

I did this today:

I was dropping off our youth group at the trailhead for Wilderness Trek near Fairplay Colorado (They are at this moment at their "Low" camp tomorrow heading for "High" camp on their way up Mt Ptarmigan -two ten mile hikes. These kids are amazing!).

Anyway, back to rappelling. Since I was driver-guy, they asked if I was going to do it and of course I said yes. It's an amazing feeling. To just lean back over a 100 foot cliff is not natural. Your brain is saying nope, not going to do it. You basically have to do some self-talk convincing and just lean back. It really speaks volumes about trust. Trust in others (the folk setting up the lines, and the one holding your safety rope!), trust in equipment... It was just a lot of fun. Our youth group at Eastside are veterans of Trek. We only had three newbies and they did great!

I didn't count myself in the group of newbies even though the last time I rappelled it was off a dorm rooftop 22 years ago at an institution that shall remain nameless lest someone should get ideas about doing it there! Great fun! Pray for our kids on the trail! It's a great time of working together and being together for them.

Have a great day "leaning back" and serving in God's kingdom!

No comments: