Monday, June 26, 2006

... Who is my Neighbor?


For a long time I have wondered if our extrapolations of that parable of Jesus (Luke 10) is a bit off-track. I know, I know, theologians everywhere tell us that is the beauty of teaching in parables: there is more than one point to be made. I think it’s fine and good to try and put ourselves in the various shoes of the various people in the parable. I think its fine to have an expectation of followers of Jesus to reach out and help the broken-down travelers on the highway. But we need to bring the message of this parable back from these examples to the people right around me. The ones I see everyday. And to me!

But I really think that we need to start by asking the question the “expert in the Law” was asking (Luke 10:29); then read the parable again; then ask the question of ourselves, making sure we’re not, as he was, trying to justify himself (basically he was testing Jesus to make sure he was in OK standing with God).

We need to ask that question, “Who is my neighbor?”, because it is one of the most powerful questions to be asked and answered. Who is the person that I see all the time around me that needs care? Are they my co-workers, neighbors (actual person living next to us), family, friends? We need to run away from the temptation to justify ourselves that we are OK, that we’re doing everything we can to be nice people, that we don’t break any laws – we’re nice people, that we’ve “done enough” good things. We need to run to our “neighbors”, and care for them, wherever and whoever they are.

I heard a lesson one time that ended with how Mr. Rogers began: “Won’t you be my neighbor?” There are people crying out for one. Let it be me. Let it be you.

1 comment:

Steve Puckett said...

Good "neighborly" comments. What I'm finding is "my neighbor" is often the person I don't want to be neighborly to.

Peace.