Thursday, October 19, 2006

... Strikeouts or Home Runs!

I found this on one of the minister emails I get regularly:

In the Oct. 3 edition of Stan's Leadership Newsletter, Stan Toler writes, "It usually happens near the completion of a project. The deadline approaches. The troops are restless. The expectations are high. But it just isn't coming together. You're tempted to call it a day to quit. At first it seems like the easiest way out, if not the best way.

"In his speech at his induction into the hall of fame, baseball great Mickey Mantle turned to the baseball commissioner and said, 'Thank you very much, Commissioner. I would really like to thank you for leaving out those strikeouts . . . I was the world champion in striking out.' And he was. His 1,710 strikeouts topped Babe Ruth's record of 1,330. Yet both are recognized as some of the greatest baseball players in the history of the sport.

"What is that factor that keeps others going while you're ready to throw in the towel? Mickey decided to keep going. Tenacity is the ability to put a shoulder to the boulder. To keep pushing until there is a breakthrough. Mantle is in the hall of fame because he refused to let the strikeouts rule his thinking or his life. Because of his tenacity, Mantle is better known for his hits than his misses.

"What will be your story? Will you be known more for throwing in the towel than for carrying the torch? I like the story of the little boy who threw a baseball into the air and tried to hit it with his bat. After about six strikes he turned to his father standing nearby and said, 'You know, Dad, I'm a pretty good pitcher!'

"Decide to persevere. Acknowledge what you are able to do and what God is able to do through you and then simply use the best of your ability to keep going. Others have. So can you." (To subscribe to Stan's newsletter, visit here)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

gosh, I can't believe you used the story about me striking out and saying I am a pretty good pitcher without my permission.... :)

on time, Keith Mosely asked me to come play softball with Rochester CofC's team. I warned him that I wasn't very good but came anyway. I was so afraid that I would embarrass myself. Instead I had one of those miraculous days where everything goes right. First at bat I hit a triple! I have never hit a triple in my life! Next few innings I got a couple doubles and a single, and made the play on a key out and caught and tossed for a double play. I thought the team was gonna carry me off the field on their shoulders! They begged me to come back and play again but somehow I was just to busy (better not ruin a good thing!)