Friday, November 10, 2006

... OK, I'm committed to blogging more often now....

Thanks to a friend that blogs every day, I am re-committing myself to blogging "more often". You can quote me on that. I was up to blogging 5-6 days a week. I have trouble blogging on Sundays... hmmm... wonder why. I'll try to do better (OK, Simba?).

Here's some random stuff for now:

- Do we really know how far a compliment will go for someone? I was reminded this week of something I said to someone almost ten years ago. They still remembered the positive words and it affected them and helped them change some bad habits. I forgot. Now I will remember to be more generous with my compliments.

- My two older kids are sports nuts. My wife blames me. Can I help it if they want to watch SportsCenter in the morning before school? Can I help it if my oldest daughter has the Michigan fight song as her ringtone? I guess I can help it. I'm the one that encouraged it. It's fun, though. I get to attend all of their games, cheer them on... I love it (And the wife is getting into it too).

- The only people Jesus came down hard on in scripture, it was the religious insiders, the ones who should know better. He gave them very little wiggle room or slack. He expected more. He was compassionate, loving, and merciful to the outsiders, the marginal folk, the ones no one wanted to hang around. Do we do that? Sometimes I get the impression that we have it the other way around. People that differ from us in their lifestyle, their life choices, their moral choices - we stay away (we may throw a legislation against them, but that is another post)entirely), we even move away. I see Jesus moving TOWARD these people.

Lord, help me to move toward the marginalized, the poor, the outcasts... help me to do as you did... Help me to be merciful, compassionate, loving...

No comments: