Monday, April 24, 2006

... if our speech is seasoned right (with grace)

I have been asked on more than one occasion lately to comment on what seems to be an overabundance of literature and media focusing on disproving Jesus, “new” findings that cast doubt on long-held beliefs, and other “attacks” on Christianity. I must say right at the beginning that I do not believe we are heading for the apocalypse or end times because of any of these things. If you take a look at church history it doesn’t take long to find that these kinds of happenings have been happening since the 1st century.

It is odd how Da Vinci Code, The finding of the Gospel of Judas, books like Bart Ehrman’s “Misquoting Jesus, all seem to have produced at one time. I do not think this is an organized attack, however. It seems like everywhere I turn I find Christian people in a war of words (not in a respectful way either). This only succeeds in causing a great rift between believers and unbelievers in America to get even bigger.But I do believe we need to stand for the truth. I do believe we need to respond. Here's what I really believe though:

I believe it is a test and a challenge for Christians:
To step up to the plate,
To reach down deep and find some missing-until-now boldness,
But mostly an opportunity to engage anyone and everyone in a dialogue about our faith in a respectful, caring, gentle way!

Listen to what Paul says to the church in Colossae about engaging their culture in a discussion about Christ, or the opening of doors to tell of the mystery of Jesus:
Pray diligently.
Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude.
Don't forget to pray for us, that God will open doors for telling the mystery of Christ…
Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders.
Don't miss a trick. Make the most of every opportunity.
Be gracious in your speech.
The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation,
not put them down, not cut them out.
(Col. 4:2-6, MSG)






No comments: