Monday, December 05, 2005

I Love To Laugh

Charis Conn, editor of What Counts: The Complete Harper's Index said that the average number of laughs a person has in a day is 17. I’d say that would need to be the minimum at best. I also think that the art of being able to laugh at yourself is a key to healthy living. You know, the best way for me to get a laugh when I need one is to watch the “I Love To Laugh” scene from Mary Poppins with that wonderful actor, Ed Wynn, who plays Uncle Albert. His laugh is truly contagious! Today I am posting a list (I know – list day isn’t until Wednesday!) of ways to cultivate a sense of humor:
1. Catch yourself in some amusing inconsistency and then laugh at yourself. This is the foundation of a healthy sense of humor.
2. Note the inappropriate or funny things people say or do in public, and draw parallels between those silly behaviors and your own. Positive humor goes beyond mere criticism to a recognition of our common plight as less-than-perfect human beings.
3. Include in your regular reading diet published collections of wit and humor, humor columnists, comic strips, and stories by writers with a well-developed sense of humor.
4. Occasionally do something harmlessly absurd and totally out of character for your spontaneous entertainment.
5. Avoid sarcasm, ridicule, and excessive teasing. They hurt rather than heal.
Good stuff. Speaking of being able to laugh at one’s self, I wish to thank my church for giving me the opportunity to do just that last night. You know who you all are!


Note: Comic Sans Rules! Join the revolution!  You people using Times New Roman because you can’t figure out how to change it or just don’t want to do anything different are the ones that need help!  Be a fan of Comic Sans!

No comments: