Monday, December 12, 2005

Worn-out Knees


Anyone need a boost to their prayer life? A shot in the arm for getting back on track for communicating with God? Have you ever tried a prayer walk? Sometimes in the ordinariness of our lives, the routine, the same-old, same-old, we get stuck in prayer patterns as well.  Let me just first say that I do believe we need to be thoroughly stuck in the habit of praying, sometimes the type and style need a boost. Back to the prayer walk. This type of activity can be powerful because you tailor it to what you need o be praying about. Here’s how it goes:

First think of about 6 things/people/situations that you need to be praying about.

Next, assign a place around your home or office or wherever that you can go and be in the place, praying about that particular subject (example – when I did this at a previous church I worked for, I did this with a men’s class I was teaching and we went down in the middle of class outside the youth class and prayed for the teenagers)

Repeat this for each prayer subject.

Now, get praying.  What I found when I’ve done this before is that I pray longer, in a more specific manner, and it gets me away from what I call “selfish prayer”.


I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom, and that of all about me seemed insufficient for the day. Abraham Lincoln

No comments: