Friday, March 17, 2006

... about "Loving the Storm-Drenched"

I have been reading some really good stuff on faith and culture recently. But I am noticing what I believe to be a un-Christ-like trend. All of the authors (the ones I read recently anyway) seem to fall into one category. I’ll call it the “US vs. THEM category. Everyone just cries and moans about how bad culture has gotten, how nothing is worth watching on TV anymore (some of these I can’t disagree with)… and on and on it goes. Now don’t get me wrong, I want to be able to point out when something is bad and say it is bad, I just don’t feel we need to set up camps. Pop culture, Hollywood, The “media” are not the enemy. “The Enemy” uses all sorts of things to drag us away from God, and if we set up camps, the “lost” may be in the “other” camp and therefore become- by our work, unreachable.

One article that stood out was by Frederica Mathewes-Green (one of my favorite authors) and it is entitled: Loving The Storm-Drenched. In it, she talks about how we may not be able to change the weather (pop culture, Hollywood, those influenced in a bad way by the media), and we may be wasting our time, energy, and resources trying to do so. But we need to (and she believes we are called to) love the ones who are drenched by the storm.

She’s much more articulate than I am so her article is worth a read. Have a good one.

No comments: