Wednesday, March 29, 2006

... How the Word Refreshes Me

I had some requests to put part of my sermon from Sunday on my blog so people could see my points about how the word refreshes me and what I can do to help get “more into the Word”, as someone put it. It’s a rather long post, but here it is:

Somebody once asked G.K. Chesterton this question, “If you were marooned on a desert island and could only have one book with you, what would you choose?” Given his reputation as one the most creative Christian writers of the early 20th century, the people that asked that question were expecting the Bible to be his answer. It was not. Chesterton chose Thomas’ Guide to Practical Ship-building.

So, how does the Bible refresh me?

  1. It Changes Me - This is my Bible: I am what it says I am; I have what it says I have; I can do what it says I can do. Today, I will be taught the Word of God… I’ll never be the same — never, never, never! I’ll never be the same, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.” “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword…it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12
  2. It Empowers Me - In the second century, Justin Martyr, a disciple of the apostle John, wrote, “The Scriptures and the words of Jesus possess a terrible power in themselves and a wonderful sweetness. Straightaway a flame was kindled in my soul, and a love of the prophets and of those men who were friends of Christ possessed me.”
  3. It Directs Me - Not equipment, but refreshment. “How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all of my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:9-11NIV
  4. It Trains Me - But why do I need the Bible? I make fairly decent decisions without it. “Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word. Psalm 119:12-16 NIV
  5. It is Useful to Me- I must apply the principals in the Bible to my daily living. That means to put the words into practice. As James puts it “Do what it says.” The Devil does not care if you read the Word of God and if you know the Word of God as long as it does not become an influence on your way of living. Jesus said in Matthew 7:24, that if we put His words in practice we will live a wise life and have something with us that will help us stand up against anything.
  6. It Stays With Me - Memorize? Me? No Way! Why? “When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight.” Jeremiah 15:16, NIV. Maybe not this, but Psalm 1 and a few other Psalms talk about meditating day and night. It is good to have it in front of you all the time. Still not convinced you can do it? Rock Song lyrics of 1977!!!
  7. It Confronts Me - When we look into his word what do we see? We see our flaws. We see that we are sinners. We see that by believing in Jesus Christ, we can be changed forever. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17, NIV
  8. It Shapes Me - "All I really want in life is for the Word of God to take up residence inside of me and form me into Christ-likeness." We are always asking "What does it say?" and seldom if ever made the step into a deep personal application of "How can that truth take up residence in me?"
  9. It Points Me To Jesus - “We have learned Christ.” He’s the teacher; he’s also the curriculum. The ultimate goal isn't to defend the Bible, memorize the Bible, or understand the Bible. The goal is to let scripture point us to Jesus, committing ourselves to him and jumping into the journey of discipleship.


So what do I do now? Now that I know how His Word refreshes me?

  1. Develop a quiet mind – Henri Nouwen said that sometimes trying to settle his mind was like a banana tree filled with monkeys constantly jumping up and down. All our thoughts, like so many chimps, clamoring for our attention: what’s going on today? Why is that person talking to me that way? Will things ever get better? Whoa--- SLOW DOWN. Bonhoeffer said that often we are so burdened and overwhelmed with other thoughts, images and concerns that it may take a long time before God’s word has swept all else aside and come through. He suggests praying first that the Holy Spirit would help us before we read.
  2. To get started, Meditate on a Brief Passage or Story – Madame Guyon wrote, “If you read quickly, it will benefit you little. You will be like a bee that merely skims the surface of a flower. Instead, in this new way of reading with prayer, you must become a bee who penetrates into the depths of the flower. You plunge deeply within to remove its deepest nectar.”
  3. Ask God to let Scripture work on you – Augustine boiled it down to this command, “Take it and read, take it and read.” But ultimately be open to the possibility that God may be speaking to you through his Word.
  4. Take One Thought or Verse with you all Day – What the mind repeats it retains.
  5. One Serious Bible Question – If I take this text seriously, what would I have to change in my life? (Jesus teaching on forgiveness)- Randy Harris
  6. Read the Bible Wide Open – Not the book, YOU! – Read with a repentant spirit. Surrender everything. Realize that you are reading for transformation not information. Jesus warns the religious leaders of his day in John 5:39-40, “You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.”. What a wonderful ending! What scripture is all about is pointing us to Jesus. That’s what helped God’s people before Christ (all the prophecies pointing to the Messiah). That’s what helped the first century Christians (remember they received Jesus’ teachings in the Gospels with amazing receptivity). That’s what helped God’s people assemble the Canon of scripture pretty much how we have it today (Jesus’ words and the apostles teaching). AND, that’s what drives us today to study God’s word. It points us to Christ, teaches us to follow him on this journey.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I am a musician who has been heavily influenced by Keith Green. I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for download.

I don't mean to be a pest, so if this message is an annoyance, please delete it and accept my humblest of apologies. I just want to share my music with people who love Jesus.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my music is free."